Old September 7th 07, 01:29 AM posted to rec.motorcycles,ca.driving,rec.autos.tech
Steve W.

Default California Motorcycle & Automobile Riding & Driving & WrittenTests

P. Roehling wrote:
> "pinbob" > wrote
>
>> I would like to collect in one place for a friend and all new friends out
>> there the very hidden California DMV motorcycle and driving tests,
>> completely and fairly.

> "Very hidden"? They didn't hide anything from me. Just asked me to answer
> the questions on the written exam and then demonstrate some basic riding
> skills. I answered the questions correctly, demonstrated the skills, and
> that was all there was to it.
>
>> As you all know, the California Motorcycle Riding Test is nearly
>> impossible
>> to pass when done on your own

> Uh, no, I passed it on my first try, no problems.
>
>> (everyone passes when they are the sole judge
>> but almost everyone on a big bike fails because the test is well known to
>> be ridiculous and only for the purpose of funneling money to the MSF
>> "BasicRider" class which is a scam in and of itself).

> Bull****. The test isn't particularly difficult, and if you can't pass it
> you shouldn't be out there riding on the streets. That's why they want you
> to take the MSF: because you need lessons if you can't pass the test. (And
> if you think the civilian test is tough, I'd hate to hear your opinion about
> the CHP's motor-officer riding tests, which make the tests *we* take look
> like a walk in the park.)
>
>> Worse than being impossible, the California DMV absolutely REFUSES to tell
>> you what the test is, even if you fail one of the four parts, they won't
>> tell you what the next part is - and you only get three tries overall.
>>
>> So, the ONLY way to know what the text actually consists of is to get it
>> HERE!
>> http://www.ducatigirl.com/california/dmv_moto_test.pdf
>>
>> Since the California DMV forbids you practicing the test, (snip)

> Where did you ever get that idea? I simply went down to the DMV parking lot
> after they closed one day and spent a few minutes riding around inside the
> lines of the painted circle to see how hard it would be.
> It wasn't very difficult, and there's nobody there to stop you.
>
>> Good luck to all you new riders -- you're gonna need it!

> Or, alternatively, they *could* learn to ride *before* they try to take the
> test rather than whining about how "impossible" or "ridiculous" it is.

From looking at the CA tests and the written examples they post it
looks easier than the NY test I took.

Ours is a 25 question written test, then a riding test where you provide
a vehicle for the brownie who then follows you around on the course
(usually just normal streets, traffic and all). You listen for the chase
vehicles horn to tell you to turn left/right/stop. Then you do a
maneuvering test, One left loop one right loop, one figure 8. If you
touch your feet or the curb during any of them you fail. The usual area
you do these on is a narrow side street, about 16 feet wide or so. Took
mine on a Gold Wing and passed the entire thing in one shot.

--
Steve W.