Old December 18th 06, 04:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_5_]

Default Liquid in my air filter housing

For a longer lasting solution, rubber corks from a chemical supply house.
;^)

It's funny; I used to work on automobiles full time in the seventies, right
when the pollution controls all came out. After working on a few vehicles I
figured, along with a lot of other mechanics, that the damn things didn't do
anything except make the cars run more poorly and use more fuel. Except the
PCV, of course, don't disconnect that. A big laugh was the attempt to use
higher (numerically lower) gear ratios in an attempt to increase fuel
mileage (kilometerage north of the border). The Dodge dealer where I worked
did a healthy business in axle ratio changes, in order to restore a
semblance of performance and economy to his customer's vehicles.

Now with fuel injection this is all theoretically "better", but as Mike
likes to say a properly tuned carburetor performs quite nicely too.

Earle

"Mike Romain" > wrote in message
> Someone else just had the same problem in a 258 YJ and after figuring
> his PCV system was likely working ok, the diagnosis appeared to be a bad
> valve on the exhaust air tubes that connect into the middle of the air
> filter.
>
> Those valves can be eliminated from the system for a test by plugging
> the holes with wine corks.
>
> Seeing as you will be getting rid of or shutting off 'all' the pollution
> controls with your HEI and 2100, these exhaust tubes can be unhooked
> from the air filter and permanently blocked. On one that was broken, we
> blocked it down at the CAT with a large bolt that happened to fit the
> tube perfectly.
>
> And just an FYI for you. The stock Weber-Carter BBD on it can be made
> to behave quite nicely with a $20.00 carb kit and some tweaking,
> especially after the computer is taken out of the circuit.
>
> Mike
> 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
> Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view!
> Jan/06 http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...?id=2115147590
> (More Off Road album links at bottom of the view page)
>
> "LoneGreyWolf via CarKB.com" wrote:
> >
> > Took the cover off my air filter housing today and discoverd about 1/2

cup of
> > milky white fluid in the housing and coating the air filter. I live in

the
> > mountains at 6500 ft with night time temps at 15-25 and days at 25-50.
> > Just bought the 88 YJ with 155,000 on it. Am planning to do an HEI dist
> > conversion, and put a MC2100 on it.
> >
> > I don't drive it much and it runs poorly enough that I start it and

leave it
> > running for awhile before driving across town (3 miles in either

direction) I
> > have only taken it on a couple of 2-3 hour, back dusty road drives. It

stays
> > on high idle for a long time 10-15 minutes and is hard to start if it

doesn't
> > sit long enough.
> >
> > There is no froth in the valve cover or on the cap, can't see any oil in

the
> > recovery bottle or water in the oil. I'm thinking with the short drives

and
> > long idle, or high idle times, I am picking up a lot of very moist air

out of
> > the exhaust and it is condensing in the air filter housing. Just a

guess,