Old September 18th 06, 02:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_1_]

Default 96 Jetta GLS P0501 code

http://www.bentleypublishers.com/tec....dtc.table.htm
P0501 = Vehicle Speed Sensor Range/Performance

I think you forgot the 'Speed' in your code, or that tool did. :-)

The ECM must not be getting information about how fast the vehicle is
moving, or not moving.
If you had the ross-tech.com tool you might get a little more information as
to what is wrong and have the ability to test components. This means less
you have to spend on parts you might not need! ;-)
BTW there might be 2 speed sensors on the transmission.

JMHO
later,
dave
(One out of many daves)