Old September 1st 05, 03:49 PM
Nemo

The manual talks about adjusting alternator belt and power steering belt and
it also talks about changing timing belt, but it doesn't give a figure for
timing belt, so it is not really clear to me what it is. Is it same as one
of two other belts or its something else. I want to see if I can do it
myself. And the car is just 40000 KM. Then it does not need a belt change
just adjustment.
Thanks

"T L via CarKB.com" > wrote in message
> Generally the dealer 'checkups' are a rip off, however if its a good

dealer,
> I don't think its a bad idea to pay for them to look it over, as long as

its
> not too exhorbitant.
>
> The timing belt could be inspected for tension at this mileage. Belts
> stretch over time, and the tensioner could need adjusting. The process on

my
> civic is something like 1. Loosen Tensioner, 2. Turn crank pulley

clockwise 1
> turn, 3. tighten tensioner.
>
> That just takes the slack out of the belt. Maybe thats what they were
> planning to do?

> High Tech Misfit wrote:
> >> Hey fellas,
> >> According to dealer schedule I have to do maintenance type D on my

Civic
> >[quoted text clipped - 5 lines]
> >> Does the engine really need that at this milage. Thanks guyes for

advice.
> >> Regards

> >If you really do mean 40,000km as opposed to 140,000km, you do not need a
> >timing belt replacement at this time. However, if your car also has a
> >time-based interval for the belt, then you should replace it when that

time
> >comes. Assuming the interval is 6 years, since your car is almost 5

years
> >old, the belt would be due for replacement in late 2006 or early 2007
> >(assuming of course you don't reach the distance-based interval

beforehand).
> >Check the maintenance schedule in your manual.
> >
> >And $60 for air filter is a huge rip-off. Have you tried other dealers?

> >bought an air filter for my '93 Accord at a Honda dealer last year for

$20
> >(I did the labour myself, but that takes only a few minutes anyway). As

far