Old February 21st 13, 05:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Tim Wescott[_2_]

Default Genset voltage reg: capacitor vs. AVR

On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 11:18:45 -0500, Scott Dorsey wrote:

> Tim Wescott > wrote:
>>
>>Do you have a link to a site that sells the AVR ditty? If it's
>>regulating the field current of the generator in response to the
>>generator voltage, and if all the genset does is rely on the motor's
>>governor for speed regulation, then it should give better regulation.

> As far as I know, every non-inverter generator works this way. How else
> would you get a stable output voltage with varying loads? It's not like
> field coil regulation is terribly expensive; it's not a whole lot of
> current in there.

With field coil regulation you should be able to keep the genset voltage
dead nuts on target, with deviations only when the load changes suddenly.

One wonders in what decade the technology stalled if they're allowing the
crappy regulation that EA quotes.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com