Old February 6th 09, 04:06 AM posted to rec.autos.antique
George Patterson

Default New to restoration, looking to do a 1st gen GTO

es330td wrote:

> I know I am going to need
> tools, sources for parts, money, manuals and a project car.

Tools can be bought anywhere. Parts are another matter. the place to start is to
pull up Google and type in "+pontiac +antique +parts" without the quotes. When I
tried that, the first entry was something called "Classic Car Parts Giant" that
looks like it has about anything you would need. These outfits will also have
manuals, and the originals come up on EBay frequently.

Once you get your car and know what year you have, haunt EBay. Hit it once a
week or more. Let's say you have a '65 Goat. Type in "65 GTO" into the search
window, including the quotation marks. Also try "1965 GTO". No matter what
exotic item you need, one will show up on EBay eventually.

If you can locate one, get a cross-reference for parts so that you know what
parts were common to other Pontiac models. If you're haunting EBay for some odd
part, it's handy to know that it also came on other models or other years.
Sometimes the auto parts sites have this sort of thing (they do for my Ford).

If you need an esoteric tool, some auto parts stores do tool rental.

George Patterson
I worry that the person who thought up Muzac may be thinking up
something else.