Old February 6th 09, 01:15 AM posted to rec.autos.antique
Stude

Default New to restoration, looking to do a 1st gen GTO

On Feb 5, 1:01*pm, es330td > wrote:
> (Note: if this is the wrong usenet group for this I apologize. *This
> one seemed right.)
>
> I am looking to start a car restoration project in a couple of years.
> My son is 7 and I plan to work with him restoring a mid 60's muscle
> car with a target of him driving it when he is legal to drive. *I
> don't plan on doing a 100% show quality restore but it will be the
> kind of vehicle that will turn heads when it goes down the road.
>
> In my past I have worked in a garage so I have some experience with
> engines and car repair. *In addition, I have a relative who has run a
> successful repair shop for 20 years so I have an expert resource I can
> access. *He has never done a restoration, however, so I thought I
> would start here.
>
> I am looking to use the next three years to prepare myself for this
> project. *I own a house with a two car garage, one side is not being
> used except for storage and a large backyard with a gate big enough to
> get my truck through, so I think I have a place for the car to live
> while being worked on and space to work. *I know I am going to need
> tools, sources for parts, money, manuals and a project car.
>
> I come to this group to find out where I can find these things. *My
> dream car is a 1st generation GTO and these show up on eBay needing
> lots of work for under $1,000 fairly regularly so I am not worried
> about finding a car, though when I do get ready to get one I know
> spending a little more on the right car up front can save much time
> and money so I will be back here for specifics on car selection. *For
> the rest of it, however, I know that going to my local Autozone is
> probably not the best route for getting the parts I will need.
>
> What resources do y'all recommend to help me get ready for this
> project? I am especially looking for online forums (I found one at
> highperformancepontiac.com) but I don't know what various groups,
> magazines, etc exist out there for people looking to rebuild/restore
> these cars.
>
> Thanks in advance for your assistance.

You are looking at conflicting purposes here.
The more hand work you do, the more sweat-equity you / he have it in,
thus the more likely it is that it will be safely driven - and
repaired by the son, should anything occur, Working as a team will be
long remembered - so getbhim involved in every decision. If he insists
in doing something "his" way, give him some slack by explaining your
viewpoint only once. Avoid "I told you so." if things go wrong, don't
say "I told you so." and complement him when he is right.

OTOH, experts agree that the best way to buy a car is to get the best
one you can afford. - everythng costs more than is expected.

Have fun. I have no kids and am jealous.

PS I was given a flat-head '46 Ford when I was fourteen. It belonged
to an uncle
A valve head had fallen off the stem and into the combution chamber,
breaking the head and piston.
Nice visit staying with aunt / uncle, working on the car at the edge
of a marsh in Sherborn MA.