Old January 8th 04, 04:11 AM
huffreport

Thanks for the info.... I don't doubt that there are some bad apples out
there..... One the other hand, I have used a broker now TWICE with EXCELLENT
results.... Anyone looking for a good recommendation on a broker can email
me privately.... I am not affiliated with them in any way, but their rates
have been competitive, and the delivery was fast.

Kevin

www.huffreport.com
A Celebration of American Cars, Music, and Retro Culture

" > wrote in message
> The net is full of complaints about this poorly regulated industry, so if
> you need to have a car transported from one place to another - be very
> careful. Anyone can pay the DOT $300 and get authority to "broker"

transport
> services. Though such companies may appear competent online and

(initially)
> on the phone, the fact is that they're generally boiler rooms - and once
> you're hooked, they're gone. It works like this:
>
> You find the company online, call or email, and get a quotation: "$800
> door-to-door" or whatever, with perhaps $150 deposit and the rest payable

on
> delivery. Once you give your credit card number, the broker calls various
> independent truckers that fill the highways between origin and

destination,
> trying to find someone able to pick up your car. When they succeed, your

car
> is picked up - transported - delivered. However, the driver often has no
> idea who hired him - his entire compensation comes from payment on

delivery.
> So who's responsible?
>
> A good example is Atlantic Global Transport (carrymycar.com), operated by
> Gene Fisher (Triangle Realty Ltd) in Long Island. The beautiful website
> claims a "small fleet", offices in New York, California, and Florida, and

it
> really looks like a professional presentation. However, there is no fleet,
> there are no such offices, and once this company - and others near it at

the
> bottom of the ethical ladder - get your credit card number, you're at

their