Old April 19th 11, 02:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
LoveBus

Default fuel pump pin falling out?

On Apr 18, 3:47*pm, Randall > wrote:
> On 4/18/2011 11:39 AM, Sam wrote:
>
> > I have a strange issue. It seems that a pin on my fuel pump is working
> > its way out.

> > The pin I'm talking about is at the end of the arrow in this pictu
> >https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...Vu0O_pGl5mgnfR...
> > (but, instead, mine is sticking way out. Maybe an inch. I'll try to
> > take a picture of the actual fuel pump soon.)

> > What is that pin for and how can I get it to go back in and stay in?
> > Is it ever supposed to come out like that??

> > More details:
> > mechanical fuel pump (shorter alternator style, I think)
> > 1971+ dual-port 1600cc engine
> > 1965 karmann ghia

> On older style pumps the pin has a circlip on each end that holds the
> pin in place. On many of the newer pumps the pin is staked in. Your pin
> has obviously worked its way out.
>
> The pin forms the pivot point for an operating lever that is pumped up
> and down on one end of the lever by a rod that rubs against the
> distributor drive cam inside the engine case. The other end of the lever
> pumps the diaphragm located near the top of the fuel pump.
>
> The following old RAMVA post describes the same problem you have and
> possible solutions if you have one of the staked-type pumps. The pic you
> supplied looks to be a staked-type pumps. Circlip-type pumps have
> several screws allowing the top of the pump to be separated from the
> lower part so that the diaphragm can be replaced if need be.
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...ooled/browse_t...
>
> -- Randall

If you can find an old junk fuel pump that has a shaft with the C-Clip
on both ends of the shaft you can take your pump off and replace the
shaft thats in your pump with it and never worry about it again.
Theses new pumps with the plastic holding the shaft in are prone to
this happening. Most of the time once it works its way out it will
continue to do so.