Old August 28th 08, 11:58 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

Default E39 Vibration on Braking - help please !

In article
holdgaj > wrote:
> I have vibration of the sterring wheel on braking on an E39. There's
> no vibrattion through the brake pedal. Just had a diagnosis from a
> garage - "brake discs (rotors) need replacing". On reading the Brake
> FAQ I see that worn suspension bushes can cause vibration of the
> stereing wheel. The vibration is worse at higher speeds. I would have
> thought that warped rotors would be felt through the pedal as well as
> the steerrng wheel. I'm on a tight budget, and don't want to replace
> the brake discs unecessarily. Can someone confirm that warped rotors
> would be felt through the brake pedal ? Or not ? I'd also be
> interested in the difficulty (i.e. cost) of replacing the suspension
> bushes *& which ones need to be replaced.

It is very likely the control arm bushes if the vehicle has done more than
about 70,000 miles and they are original. Unfortunately, as they're fluid
filled, it's difficult to tell if there are worn by levering etc as they
have some 'give' when perfect.

They can be replaced with the correct workshop equipment, but few will
have this so just replace the entire arm.

IMHO it's far more likely to be the cause than warped discs. Even although
most mechanics who don't know this model will diagnose that.

--
*The statement below is true.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.