Old April 5th 12, 10:23 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mario Petrinovic

Default New PC's FFB

Well, I got new PC, and there are some changes. On this PC I can
clearly feel where I am regarding latency (cockpitLookDeadZone setting).
Here, my latency definitelly is somewhere around 0.038500. Well, this has
more sense than what I wrote previously. But, there are some changes,
compared to previous PC. On this PC I kept everything on default, while on
previous I did some changes to Nvidia control panel. Also, while now I also
have Class 1 video setting in iRacing, previously I didn't use DX10
optimization. Previously I had keyboard and mouse on PS/2, while now I have
them on USB. Previously I had wheel into USB 2.0, now I have it into USB
3.0.
Thankfully now I can clearly distinguish where I am with my latency,
so I can experiment with different settings (if I find time to do that).
Regarding the feel of FFB, if latency is too low, your are chasing car, if
it is too high, car is chasing you. When it is too low, car runs away from
you, but you cannot catch it. This isn't so easy to distinguish, but it is
very easy to distinguish too high latency. In short, with too high latency
FFB behaves somehow like a yo-yo. Like it has a spring in itself, and this
spring acts exactly like a yo-yo. It is controlable, but of course, because
of latency it plays around, and in adjsuting to this, all feels just like a
yo-yo.
Well, now that I am sure what is what, now I can freely experiment
with different video settings, to see how they affect latency.
Also, while previously I had FOV at 61, now it is clear that it is
62. It makes difference, and it really is a shame that you cannot adjust
this to a finer degree in iRacing.
Also, previously I used FFB settings 117/117/117/117, but now I like
118/100/100/100. But I'll take another look at this when I adjust better,
and when I test different cars.
But, on this PC I also (like on previous PC) like to have hight of
screen at 0.0%. Interesting.