Old September 26th 11, 03:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Oppie[_7_]

Default '01 LW300 groaning - finally fixed

Finally ponied up for a new alternator. Friend's shop got me a new Bosch 120
amp unit for $175, his cost. He trusts me to return the core. Retail cost
was anywhere from $230 to $250.

Fun part was trying to remove the alternator. Actually, removing the
alternator from the engine was fairly simple. Removing it from the engine
compartment was a total pain in the A--!

remove - battery clamp. Tends to lay back against battery so put a
insulating block between cable and battery to prevent accidental touching.
Removed the airbox and MAF sensor.
Remove serpentine belt and remove tensioner assy from block.
Remove one bolt from top of alternator.
Jack up car and remove front right wheel.
Remove lower alternator bolt through wheel well (just above driveshaft).
Pry alternator out of brackets, remove two electrical connections (status
and battery).
Now it gets interesting as there is no reasonable way to remove the
alternator from the engine compartment. I finally was able to remove it
between the engine and firewall but only after I undid cables and removed
right side engine mount allowing engine to be moved up and forward slightly.
Took me about 90 minutes to figure this out since the saturn shop manual
only said 'remove generator.'

Give the old generator pulley a spin and to my great joy definitely hear the
sound of a bad bearing. Got it right this time.

OK, now install new generator and notice that it sits very loose in the
mount with bolts hand tightened. Thought I lost a shim and spend another 10
minutes looking for one. Not to be found. Didn't say anywhere that these
generators have as their inboard support, a threaded bushing that is pressed
in. As you torque the bolts to spec, the bushing slides out and gives a very
firm connection. Very nice but I wish that there had been some information
about this.

Reinstall tensioner assy, install serpentine belt, reinstall engine mount
(had jack supporting oil pan while engine mount was out)...

Everything all installed and torqued to specs. Turn the key to on and wait
until the high pitched sound from the engine stops. This is the chopping
drive to the throttle motor (it's a drive by wire). Gives engine controller
a baseline for MAF and MAP sensors. Leave key in on position and start.

Amazing! Groan is gone. Mission successful and took about three hours. One
used to be able to do these things in about 20 minutes in RWD cars.

Was reading that these are brushless generators. Was curious about the
construction but not curious enough to take it apart for fear that core
return would be voided. My day job is electrical engineering. If anybody
is interested what the difference between brushed and brushless designs,
here are a few references:
www.newindo.com/pdf/3334SI.pdf
www.pearen.ca/dunlite/BrushlessAlternators.pdf

Oppie