Old October 15th 11, 04:47 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

Default C5 Tire Sensors

<Ev> wrote in message ...
> Thanks Guys for all the info Hello to Dad its been a while(about 2
> years) hope all is well with you an yours. I have been reading the
> forums about the sensors. The next issue is finding a dealer in west
> palm beach that will lift the car correctly AND do the tires/sensors
> right! I may do it myself an just bring in the tires. I am so scared
> to deal with dealers. Bad experience the 3 times I went there. 1st
> time a 90 year old guy drove it on the drive on lift crooked a
> scratched the bottom paint by the rear tire about an inch. number 2
> tec put down his clipboard on the seat with the pen in it an we had
> a 3 inch black pen mark on my light oak leather passenger seat.
> number 3 tec bringing car out to me scuffed the kick out board on
> the drivers side with black heal marks which I buffed out. 3 for 3
> an only in for oil changes! I haven't been back since.I CAN'T AFFORD
> THE COLLATERAL DAMAGE! I do my oil changes myself now an have had
> no other trouble with the car except now the sensors. got a trip
> coming up at the end of the month to new jersey an I don't want to
> fly blind without my sensors not a smart Idea. Like I said I've read
> threw the forums an I came across this.
> http://www.z06vette.com/forums/f117/...-pucks-107706/
>
> Any comments or advise would be helpful
> as always thank you in advance
> Evan
> 2002 magnetic red II coupe
> "Maggie"

There is a problem with the sensor repair you have been reading about
and that is that it has only been done successfully on the '97 through
'00 sensors. May not be much better but take it to a tire dealer to
have it done, it's their business to get it right and I've had better
luck with them than I have with the stealerships.

Have you by any chance had the tires replaced? Tires with steel
sidewall will interfere with the sensor signals as will some stainless
steel brake lines. Have you tried to retain the sensors? Easy to do
and would be the first thing I would try, only takes a good magnet,
not a special scan tool. The owner of the '98 I had is still on his
first set of sensors so the batteries are not necessarily the problem.

They are $56 each on this site, 25773946.
http://www.tpmsdirect.com/CHEVROLET_..._com_s/369.htm
Rockauto.com has Dorman $41 and Standard Motor $45, they are good to
deal with and quick ship.