Old May 11th 06, 08:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default Want more MPG? Trying using your clutch pedal.

"Jim Warman" > wrote in message
> Coasting with the car in neutral can place you in jeopardy... should you
> be placed in a situation where you encounter the sudden need to increase
> speed, you will find yourself ill prepared for it - let us remember that
> we aren't the only ones on the roads and none of these other cars are
> labelled "IM STUPID"...
>
> Accidents happen when at least two bad situations meet... a neutral
> coastdown is bad situation number one - now we only need one more.
>
> Try a neutral coastdown when taking your drivers exam and you will still
> be riding the bus... "Mexican Overdrive" has ended more than one truck
> drivers career...
>
> After a while of doing this, you will experience the tendency to keep the
> clutch depressed and preselect the next gear you expect to need... ever
> see what happens to a clutch when someone selects 1st at 60 mph?

Do the newer Mustangs have a synchronized 1st gear? IIRC, if it isn't, you
can't shift into first until you get below a certain speed. On my 96
Passport, you had to be doing like 20 before you could even get into first
on a downshift. On the 89Gt however, I can get into it whenever I want.

Just wondering,

Don Manning