Old May 11th 06, 06:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default Want more MPG? Trying using your clutch pedal.

Coasting with the car in neutral can place you in jeopardy... should you
be placed in a situation where you encounter the sudden need to increase
speed, you will find yourself ill prepared for it - let us remember that we
aren't the only ones on the roads and none of these other cars are labelled
"IM STUPID"...

Accidents happen when at least two bad situations meet... a neutral
coastdown is bad situation number one - now we only need one more.

Try a neutral coastdown when taking your drivers exam and you will still be
riding the bus... "Mexican Overdrive" has ended more than one truck drivers
career...

After a while of doing this, you will experience the tendency to keep the
clutch depressed and preselect the next gear you expect to need... ever see
what happens to a clutch when someone selects 1st at 60 mph?

Not to poo-poo your idea, I just don't think that it has been thought all
the way through..

FWIW, we're at about $4.25/US gallon.