Old July 5th 08, 11:26 AM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Default 55 returning? It had better not-the dumbest law since Prohibition

XOZ wrote:
> On Jul 5, 3:56 am, "Matt Wiser" > wrote:
>
>>Anyone notice Sen. John Warner (R-VA) proposing a National Speed Limit? It's easy for him
>>to do so, as he's retiring from the Senate, and won't have to face the wrath of angry voters.
>>According to AP, he's contacted the Dept. of Energy to ask what speed limit (either 55 or
>>60) would be most fuel-efficient. 55 may have been OK east of the Mississippi, but here out
>>West (I'm in CA), it stank. Anyone try an L.A. to Salt Lake at the despised double-nickel?
>>Or SF to Dallas or Seattle to Denver? Brock Yates said it best in 1975: The 55 speed limit
>>is/was the dumbest law since Prohibition. Speed limits should be set by the
>>states, period. If CA wants to go to 70 on Interstates and other rural freeways, or AZ, NV,
>>UT, and NM want 75, let them. Like the Sammy Hagar song goes: "I can't drive 55."

> How dare any of the speed nazis from Vagina propose anything. Those
> people in the "Commonwealth" should put everybody in the legislature
> out of office for what they're doing to their own citizens with speed
> enforcement. Any return to the 55 MPH is highway robbery, plain and
> simple. And btw, try driving I-16 in South Georgia at 55...it's not
> just those western states that an unreasonable 55 MPH would be a
> police state bonanza for.

Hell, the DC Beltway or Dulles Toll Road is downright dangerous at 55
(even though that's the posted speed limit.) Don't blame Virginians, we
know better. Just blame this one guy that had a dumbass idea.

nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel