Old December 26th 05, 10:32 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default The perfect storm

In article >, Scott en Aztlán wrote:

>>> Why 1982? My 2005 vehicle has no such device installed, nor is there
>>> any way one could be installed would would "disable the vehicle" if I
>>> were to disable or remove the tracking device.

>>The article describes manditory retrofits to existing vehicles. One can
>>make a retrofit that can prevent tampering with the device by replacing
>>the engine management computer. However, where a vehicle doesn't need one
>>to run, it's possible to just yank the thing out again without any
>>problems.

> One can also keep the original PCM (or buy one from a wrecked vehicle
> in a junkyard) and simply swap it back in.

The offical installer may confiscate the original, old ones may become
illegal to sell from junks as are used cat-cons. Sure there will be an
underground market, but it will be difficult.

Actually some of the post '82 computer controlled carburator cars would
be useful too. Just get an older carb for the same engine.