Old April 19th 05, 05:43 PM
redcat

"Happy Father" wrote:
> i agree with the cable problem
> "Big Bill" > wrote in message
> > On 17 Apr 2005 12:35:01 -0400, redcat >
> > wrote:
> >

>  >>Even though the Fuel pump relay has been replaced,
> sometimes the car
>  >>won't start. So we do the "take the relay out to cool
> off" stuff, and
>  >>then it will start.
>  >>
>  >>The bigger problem is that at times the engine will
> die while I'm
>  >>driving. The battery light comes on and the rpm goes
> to zero as the
>  >>engine cuts out completely. I've been fortunate to be
> able to
>  >>manuever it safely to the side of the road although
> the power steering
>  >>won't work at that point.
>  >>
>  >>It can be very dangerous and happens without warning.
> It happened
>  >>last week when I was driving on a highway at a
> constant 55mph and was
>  >>60 miles into the trip.. then it happened twice in one
> day. The first
>  >>time I was doing 40mph and only 8 miles from home, got
> it restarted
>  >>and to my destination where the car sat for 3 hours.
> I was on the way
>  >>home and it died when slowing down for a stop sign and
> only 3 miles
>  >>into my return trip.
>  >>
>  >>I usually let it sit for a minute or two and try to
> restart. If that
>  >>doesn't work, I do the relay thing mentioned above.
>  >>
>  >>The mechanics are mystified. They cannot pinpoint the
> problem. I'm
>  >>afraid to drive it any distance unless my husband is
> with me.
>  >>
>  >>I looked through a lot of the postings, but didn't see
> anything
>  >>specific about this. Any insight would be greatly
> appreciated!
> >
> > From your description of the symptoms, it would seem that he
> > electrical system is, at times, simply not working.
> > How old is the battery? Sometimes, when they are at their

> service
> > life, they will short from junk (I'm sure there's a name for

> it other
> > than sediment) in the bottom of the battery. I'd have the

> battery
> > checked.
> > I'd also check the positive battery cable; peel back some of

> the
> > insulation at the battery end. If there's any corrosion, the

> cable
> > needs to be replaced.
> >
> > --
> > Bill Funk
> > Change "g" to "a"

I can’t thank you all enough for your input!! We bought the car last
April and don’t know how old the battery is, but we will be buying a
new one this week (and having the cables checked). Thanks again from
this mechanically challenged couple!

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Ford-Explo...ict112534.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=530813