Old July 11th 18, 04:19 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
micky

Default how does the map get into the radio?

In rec.autos.tech, on Wed, 11 Jul 2018 11:06:49 -0400, Ralph Mowery
> wrote:

>In article >, NONONOmisc07
says...

>> I don't want another device. I just want a radio, which may or may not
>> have GPS. In order to judge whether to get GPS, I need to know how much
>> detail the map will have, but if the map is bad, that just means no GPS,
>> not that I would buy an additional device to have a better map.
>>

>The maps are usually very close from one GPS to the next if they are
>updated.
>
>I don't care too much for the radio, but do like being able to plug in a
>USB drive into the audio system to play songs of my choice. You do not
>need the GPS option for that.

Right. I do that too. But not from a port right in the radio. I have
to plug something into the cigarette lighter. Despite that it works,
that was another reason to get a new radio, but I twisted the thing 90
degrees and now I can see the buttons and it's pretty easy to replay a
song or skip to the next song.

>I bought a 2017 Toyota and it came with sort of a GPS, but not really.
>From what I get out of it, it seems that it has a map that works off my
>cell phone.

Clever. I didn't have a specific method in mind, but I thought there
would be some 4th method by now. A shame it doesn't work better.

>You start out with it and it calculates here you are and
>which way to turn. If you get off the given route it still thinks you
>are on it. So it is worthless.

Yes. I often see things that make me turn off the route.