Old April 25th 11, 04:34 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Andrew MacPherson[_2_]

Default I was trying not to expect too much from rF2, but...

(William Bradshaw) wrote:

> no damn way is that car realistic in regards to wheel input. With
> the Momo, the damn thing is just way too twitchy to handle.

The ImpA has always had handling issues which I've put down to too much power and
too little grip (like the V8 on the road side). That may be realistic, but it's
never been a popular drive on iRacing, when it's supposed to be the pinnacle of
achievement.

That's why iRacing "2" (oh how I laughed) is changing that car first. It's
important for their marketing and sporting pretensions that this car is popular
ASAP.

I enjoyed the ImpB fixed races, but only because they were shorter and gave me an
easy $7 participation discount. :-)

> Personally, I hate to pay for that kind of inaccuracy. I'm hedging
> bets on the new tire model. Sounds good, can't wait to try it.

It'll be interesting. But Kaemmer has said in the past that it's not revolutionary.
And to be fair, most vehicles handle pretty darned well. At the edges of the
performance envelope there will always be issues because there's only so far code
can realistically replicate reality.

> NSS seems to be quite the underdog, though. Accepted in some
> groups, but never really gained the hold like SCE or VHR.

I think the problem is that we sim racers get fixed in our ways. We learn to handle
particular cars & tracks and they become our "home" where we feel most comfortable.
It takes something significantly, and obviously better (in some important way) to
persuade us to shift away from the community associated with the previous code were
were using.

That's why iRacing still feels like home to me even after four months away. The
cars, tracks, and concentration of people I've known in simming for many years, is
a tough combination to ignore. Which is why many people stay there even though they
don't particularly enjoy the service wrapped around that package.

It's also why iRacing always have to resort to clever tactics to try and persuade
people to join/rejoin/participate/stay. Someone there has been reading that book
about "nudge" psychology.

Anyway, for people in your position (and rFactor has so many mods there must be
many, many people in your position!) finding a compelling "USP" is very tough. Your
code may prove to be better in many ways, but it has to be superior in an obvious
way before it'll bounce people out of their existing rut and into yours.

Good luck. :-)

Andrew McP... currently rutless, unless lapping Brands Hatch too much in NKPro
counts as a rut.