Old September 22nd 05, 01:38 AM
XS11E

(Leon van Dommelen) wrote in:

> If the top was installed professionally,

It was.

> it is probably not riveted to the rain rail and partial deinstall might
> not be that bad, depending on what exactly needs to be done.

The problem is that I don't know what needs to be done nor do I know of a top
shop that might. That's why I was asking if there were any written
instructions anywhere as to how to modify a top into a "no zip" window.

I learned this from Christopher Muto:

"you also might want to ask them about installing the top so that you don't
have to unzip the window (they add a couple of straps between the second and
third bow and the rainrail... makes life much easier."

and this also from Christopher Muto:

"as for retrofitting a top for no-zip after installation i think
it would be a problem... not only because of the drilling required to be
made into the bows to make rivet holes to secure the necessary straps
(dangerously close to the top if already installed if even possible to get a
drill in the correct position), but because the no-zip installation means
not having the top connected to the second and third bow (no fabric flap
from the top that is secured into the metal slot of the bow and a cover put
on the bow to prevent snags with that metal slot). i suppose that one could
disconnect the top from the bows, remove the flaps and cover the bows, but
don't see how one could drill the rivet holes and attach the straps that are
necessary to return the bows to the proper upright position (necessary if
the bows are not connected to the top for positioning)."

So...... if the top can be partially deinstalled to make the modifications,
that would be nice but how can I find someone who can do the work? I could
ask my Mazda dealer but all he'll tell me is to buy a new car. <sigh>

What I would really like to find is an illustrated step-by-step instructions
for doing this, then I'd feel confident taking the car to a local shop, I
believe once the shop knew it could be done and saw how it was done there'd
be no problem doing the conversion........ maybe....

Meanwhile I'll keep zippering I guess, if I had the instructions and found a
good shop I probably couldn't afford it anyway.... <sigh>

Oh, one more thing. I've read about how folks can reach back and grab the
top to put it up. There's no way that works on my car! Maybe Superman could
reach back and grab the top but I sure can't, I have to get out of the car
and grunt and groan to get it to start up. Any idea what might be wrong?