Old May 28th 12, 12:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger[_3_]

Default Problem with door lock in my 2004 Honda Accord (tumblers?)

wrote in
:

> On Sunday, May 27, 2012 1:21:53 PM UTC-5, Tegger wrote:
>>
>> You appear to be in MN. What's the coldest it gets for you in the
>> winter?
>>
>> Call a locksmith. They have special oils that are meant for this
>> purpose.
>>
>> If you can't locate a locksmith, go to a hardware store, gun shop, or
>> sewing machine shop, and get a small container of the very lightest,
>> thinnest oil they have. If it's aerosol, the better for you.
>>
>> Spray or inject this light oil into the lock. Do not skimp. If not an
>> aerosol, drench the lock in the oil and work the key in and out of
>> the lo

> ck
>> a few times to drive the oil deep into the lock.
>>
>> Also, use a NEW key, and not a new one made from the old one; worn
>> keys

>> will cause big problems, especially with worn locks.
>>
>> Do NOT use dry graphite as a lock lubricant.
>>

> It's been as cold as -30 degrees here. However, I find it hard to
> believe that the problem with the driver's side door lock is
> weather-related given that I had no problems until a few days ago.

You didn't read my whole message. See the part about the key.

> What kind of oil do I need?

Just what I said: the "lightest, thinnest oil" they have.

> How do I know that this wouldn't make the
> problem worse? (You said that graphite would make the problem worse.)

The thicker the oil, the slower the lock will turn in the depths of winter.
That's why I asked about your local temperatures.

> If the light oil works, is it a permanent fix, or do I still need to
> have the tumblers or other lock mechanism fixed/replaced?

You've just answered your own question.

> Would it be
> a good idea to treat the door lock on the passenger's side as
> preventative maintenance?

If it works for the driver's lock, and if the driver's lock still turns
easily in January, then yes.

> Is there a chance that I could ever have a
> similar problem with the ignition?

If the problem is due to a worn key, then yes. The primary difference
between interior and exteerior locks is their exposure to weather.

--
Tegger