Old November 4th 09, 12:22 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

Default More cargo capacity for a c6 convertible

"Mel" > wrote in message
>I want a 2008/2009 convertible, but I need a tad more carrying
> capacity than the miata-sized trunk. How can I find a way to carry
> couple more suitcases?
>
> I know the coupe has a nice large volume of cargo space underneath
> the
> hatch, but I have had a coupe before, and now I want a convertible.
> My problem is that I need to travel once a month or so with the old
> lady out to see the grandkids,.. a 10 hour ride. To take the stuff
> we
> (she) requires for the trip, the convertible just doesn't have
> enough
> space in the trunk. The coupe has plenty.
>
> Got any ideas? What possible way is there to carry a little more
> stuff? I had luggage racks on a Miata, and an MGB years ago. A
> Miata
> buddy had a trailer hitch on his car to tow a little trailer to haul
> race wheels to events, and he suggests using some sort of platform
> plugged into a receiver hitch.
>
> Any info will be greatly appreciated.
>
> mel

Three things will help, soft side luggage, use the space that is
available when the top is up, and pack wisely. There is way more space
in the C6 than the Miata, if you plan well it should do. I have a
friend that can pack a suitcase so that it is hard to lift and without
wrinkling any clothes. Her ride is two 10 hour days so I know it can
be done.

One thing won't help, hanging a load out on a trailer hitch is not my
way of balancing a cars handling. Use the trailer but not the receiver
as a loading platform if you can't restrain the quantity of your
necessities.

I've been doing that kind of trip for 17 years and have never had a
problem with room. The downside to running that loaded is getting
caught in a rain storm and fight those wide tires. Even worse is some
of the snow storms I've been caught in, up to 18". Never would have
made it if I would have had the Corvette over loaded.

I have to ask you how do you think those ladies on the back of a
Harley pack enough to travel?