Old December 12th 08, 09:10 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford
Tim[_16_]

Default What about these gifts to Toyota

I don't think this is a loan, is it? It is giving Toyota the money to
pay these workers wages for 7 or 8 years, from the taxpayer and workers
themselves. This is what has to stop.

http://www.leadercall.com/opinion/lo...ces_printstory

The strange thing is we will never know whether the huge subsidy of the
Tupelo Toyota plant is good or bad for Mississippi.
We know the direct subsidy is $350 million right off the bat. That’s the
amount Mississippi will borrow to aid the Toyota plant. State officials
have yet to disclose the amount of future tax breaks. If the Nissan
plant is a guide, the total subsidy will be about a half billion dollars.
That’s a big chunk of change for 2,000 guaranteed jobs. State officials
are already hinting the final job number may be close to 4,000 but
that’s wishful thinking. Since auto companies have been able to
effectively sell jobs, it’s doubtful they will deliver any more than
their contractual obligation.
So let’s look at the math: a half billion divided by 2,000. That comes
to a whopping $250,000 per job....