Old October 31st 06, 07:10 AM posted to alt.autos.studebaker,rec.autos.tech,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,alt.autos.corvette

Default best anti-RF ignition wiring TYPE

63Avanti wrote:

> On Oct 29, 6:06 pm, wrote:

> > A significant amount of igniton noise comes from the connection between
> > the plug and the plug wire, and grounded metal shields over the boots
> > can help here. There are wire kits with these boots, mostly for German
> > cars, or they can be made with metal tubing slipped snugly over the
> > metal bases of the plugs.

> now this is interesting,
> I remember fabricating for my neighbor's '62 Ford a metal can with
> braided shielded wires to cover his distributor and cables out to the
> plugs. I no longer knew when he drove out of his driveway by watching
> the patterns on my TV (UHF).

> Any one know if these boots, if self-fabricated, are essentially a
> CYLINDER, grounded by contact with the engine block?

Yes. I made some from conduit that extended about 2" above the plugs.
I found it didn't mater whether or not the tops were covered with
metal, but I applied a bead of silicone RTV to prevent the sharp edges
from cutting through the wire insulation. I slit the bottom of each
tube lengthwise to make it easier to press it easier to press around
the hex part of the plug.