Old February 8th 06, 10:00 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Default 156 Windscreen washer problems

"Mitch" > wrote in message
>I have tried to search on google for this problem, but google seems to be
>having problems too, so apologies if this is a well posted problem.
> I have a 156 registered in 2000. It has headlamp washers. When I try to
> wash the screen I can hear the motor but there is no water from the jets.
> If I turn on headlamps there is no water to them either. When I
> disconnect the motor to the windscreen jets and try the headlamp ones
> there is no sound. If anyone has experience of this fault I would
> appreciate some help.
>
> Cheers
> Michael

I had this problem recently on my 156 2.0l year 2000. both my screen washers
and headlight washers failed. The headlamp washers had probably failed long
before I noticed them not working when checking the screen washers.

The headlamp washers turned out to be the fuse. To prove that it's not the
pump; swap the connectors from the screen pump onto the headlamp pump; they
should then work. Replace the fuse.

I replaced the pump in an attempt to fix my screen washers. It was making a
noise but no liquid came out of the jets. The Alfa/Fiat pump cost me £22 and
turned out to be unnecessary. The real cause of the problem was the "T"
piece that splits the flow to the two jets. Like most things Alfa it's a bit
unusual. It has a rubber diaphram inside and this had distorted or perished
and wasn't letting any liquid through.Removing the rubber bit didn't make it
work either

I couldn't get an Alfa replacement as it was Christmas holidays and
everywhere was closed. I replaced it with bog standard plastic "T" piece
from the local car shop and it works fine.

On mine the fuse for the headlamp washer pump is in the fuse box behind the
trim panel by your right knee.

mike