Old October 26th 04, 08:35 AM
Pete

"KWS"wrote
> do you happen to know what size the extension bolts are that
> you install to move the front clip forward to service the front of the
> engine?

No idea. I haven't done mine yet. I'm only at 40K miles right now.

> What is a proper cool-down procedure? Is this like walking a racehorse?

Yes, sort of. Do not shut off the engine immediately right after a hard run
/ spirited run when you were dipping into boost a lot (hear the turbo spool
up). Instead, either take it easy for the last couple of miles of the way
or let the engine idle for a minute or two before you turn it off. Some
people even install turbo timers if they don't want to sit inside the car
and wait.

>> I'm thinking the worse that can happen
>> is that you might have to replace your head gasket.

> That's it, huh?

If you read the AutoRX info, you may not even need to do that much.

> What do you mean by sludge all over the engine? Or are you referring to
> inside the engine?

Yes, inside of course.

> Thanks for the links. I read some of this stuff and, forgive me if I sound
> little skeptical, but expenisve additives kind of raise warning flags.

That's generally true, and I've been skeptical about it myself. But seeing
a ton of happy customers in the oil forums (the link I gave you), including
some very knowledgeable oil gurus and chemists, I've changed my mind. There
is also a number of used oil analysis reports to back it up (again - done by
customers, not by AutoRX). I've ran synthetic oil in my 1.8T since day 1 at
5K mile intervals and it only has 40K miles, so I don't feel it needs an
AutoRX treatment just yet, but I wouldn't hesitate to use it somewhere down
the line. Of course, no one is twisting your hand to use it. :-)

> I am a little surprised that VW/Audi didn't take this a little further and
> either warn or advise owners of higher mileage cars about any adverse
> effects of synthetic. Of course, maybe there are none?

Well, they don't get into much details. As it is, the owner's manual is
very dumbed-down for an average Joe, me thinks. But the fact that they just
went out now and said "start using synthetic" (502.00) just like that, I
guess it means there shouldn't be any issues with switching over. Then of
course, it's not the first time they messed up. Things like letting
customers run on dino oil for 10K miles in a turbo engine, or suggesting
that timing belt should be changed at 105-120K mile intervals come to
mind...

In Europe, all dealers use high quality synthetic oil, and of course the
cars came filled with synthetic from the factory. I haven't heard of any
oil-related/sludge issues there (or actually here, since I'm in Europe now).

Cheers,

Pete