Old October 25th 04, 09:25 AM
Pete

"KWS" wrote

> I have 60,000 on the 2000 A4 1.8T and it's time to change the oil again.

If that's 60K MILES, then it's time to replace your timing belt, tensioner,
and water pump, too. :-)

> 1. Is this standard an overresponse to the "coking" issue in that if you
> change the oil regularly at, say 5,000 miles, even dino oil will not
> present
> a coking problem?

Had it been an NA engine, I'd say yes. But with turbo, even 5K mile changes
with dino could result in coking under certain conditions. Generally,
turbocharged engines are very hard on oil, and the very high temperatures
that exist inside the turbo cooling lines could cause dino oil to coke if
you don't observe the proper cool-down procedures. Synthetics can also
coke, but can withstand somewhat higher temps.

> 2. What is the possibility of this engine that hasn't leaked a drop
> starting to leak when I switch to synthetic?

There is a chance that a good synthetic oil will start cleaning out the crud
and open some holes here and there. I'm thinking the worse that can happen
is that you might have to replace your head gasket. I'd rather do that than
have to replace my turbo and/or have sludge all over my engine.

Before you start using synthetic, at this mileage I think I'd do some
cleaning first, with AutoRX for example. http://www.auto-rx.com/

For more info on oil and cleaning with AutoRX, head on to:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi

Cheers,

Pete