Old August 20th 10, 04:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Paul[_38_]

Default And yet even more on the legendary Honda failing transmissions--Honda won't let you buy a new one on your own

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote in message
> Some of you know about my 2002 Odyssey with 73K miles and its failed
> transmission, and American Honda's "generous" offer to pay 50% toward
> the cost of replacing it.
>
> And, of course, you know my feelings on the subject.
>
> Anyway, I dropped the van off yesterday. In talking with the service
> writer, he indicated that as of about six months ago, if you need to
> replace the transmission in your 02 or 03 V6 Honda, and you come in to
> ask that the dealership do this, American Honda will not sell you a
> replacement unit of any kind under any circumstances.
>
> Please allow me to repeat this: American Honda will not sell you a
> working transmission to replace the self-destructing one they sold you 8
> or 9 years ago when you bought the car new.
>
> The ONLY way to get an American Honda transmission, he said, is if you
> are under some sort of warranty or goodwill accommodation with American
> Honda.
>
> ????
>
> So the natural question is, how do you handle customers who for whatever
> reason are not under such an arrangement?

<snip>

For what this is worth, an independent mechanic who had done some good work
for me previously offered to rebuild the transmission in my 2000 Accord when
it quit last year. He quoted me $1,600 with a one-year warranty. I thought
hard about it, but ended up going with the dealership's offer of a
Honda-rebuilt unit with a three-year warranty for about $1,900. My mechanic
later told me he would have given me a three-year warranty if I'd paid
$1,900. Maybe I'll take him up on that if (when?) my '01 Odyssey suffers the
same fate.