Old April 22nd 10, 03:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

Default New Miata (er, MX-5)

"Lanny Chambers" >
> You do understand why, right? With the NA and NB, we'd be downshifting
> for minor hills on the Interstate if top gear were taller, because we'd
> still be on the soft side of the torque peak. It's unlikely much if any
> fuel would be saved, since it would require larger throttle openings to
> maintain speed, even on the flat. Certainly, top speed would not
> benefit. I suppose it might be slightly less noisy, but hey, it's a
> roadster. I guess the NC could use a taller final drive, since it has
> plenty of beans and it's not much of a roadster anyway... <ducking>
>
> Maybe you bought the wrong car? A nice Camry, perhaps?
>
> (I'm just yanking your chain, Chris.)
>
> --
> Lanny Chambers
> St. Louis, MO
> '94C

I hear that argument all the time but I'm far from convinced. 1000 rpm's
lower at cruising speed would, imho be completely livable and better in
every way. When did you ever meet a Miata enthusiast that minded an
occasional downshift? I wish I knew enough about transmissions to know how
hard it would be to simply change 5th gear a bit taller.

cd
99BBB