Old August 9th 10, 05:51 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

Default Expensive Repair in Process

"Dad" > wrote in message

> "aRKay" > wrote in message
>>
>> After two dead batteries on my 2001 Coupe it was taken to the
>> dealer on
>> a flat bed truck. The first report is BCM (Body Control Module) is
>> drawing 4 amp and that is what is killing the batteries. The big
>> unknown
>> at the dealership is to find and understand what circuit is
>> shorted.
>> Just replacing the expensive (heard $1,000) BCM may not fix the
>> problem.
>> They are trying to find the bad circuit and this could be as
>> expensive
>> as the BCM.
>>
>> Dad..... any experience with BCM current draw issues?

> Yes, all bad. Happened to me with the '98, was only $800 but that
> included the flat bed, a week rental car, and it was 10 years ago
> and 200 miles from home. What codes did it throw? Short was in the
> unit its self. Rebuilt BCMs go for $165 and are as good as or better
> than new. http://www.directautomotiveproducts.com/chrys.html Yes,
> I've dealt with them with good results.

I should have put this in my reply although it may not do you any good
now that it is at the dealer. Code explanations are on many sites to
determine what they mean. I use an OBDII program on my laptop since
you can't open the C6 without it, has saved me and my family plenty.

How to Pull Codes:
1. Turn your key to the "ON" position, but do not start the engine.
2. Clear any present messages by pressing the RESET button.
3. Hold the OPTIONS button down, and press the FUEL button 4 times.
(This will get you into the "codes" section of the DIC.
4. The computer will automatically display all the codes your car has
created. It will cycle through each code every 3 seconds. (Have a pen
and paper handy to write down the codes)

Note: Any code that ends in an "H" is a history code (something that
has occurred in the past, but is not reporting as an error currently.)

5. Once the computer has finished going through all of its codes,
press RESET to enter Manual Configuration mode. It should start with a
module and show "NO CODES" or "# Codes."
6. To optionally reset codes once in manual mode, press and hold RESET
until is displays "NO CODES."
7. Press OPTIONS to go into the next module (ie, from PCM, or
Powertrain Control Module, to TCS, or Traction Control System.)
8. Repeat Step 6 until you have reset all the codes in all the
computer modules.

Note: Only reset the codes if you want to- it is not necessary to
reset them every time you pull the codes.

9. When finished, simply take your key out of the ignition.