Old October 24th 07, 12:45 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Default Thought about returning in a c5

On Oct 21, 10:26 pm, rebco10 > wrote:
> I had a 93 vette vert and a 96. Loved the 96. Sold it to get a newer
> one. Found a newer one buy the money was spent already on stuff
> like.... mortgage
>
> Anyway, ready to jump back in. I drove a 07 vert in Florida. Great
> ride fantastic performance and comfort. BTW, dont like the paddle
> shift, it is not real or even close to ferrari like shifters. Anyway,
> I would get a stick.
>
> Today I took a test drive in a 00 vert with 6 spd 29K miles. Real
> fast car. I have to say, it felt kind of sloppy. My 93 car had a
> lot of flex is it was a convertible. The 96 was much better and real
> fun to drive.
> This 00 just made me feel like I was on a ride rather then part of the
> car. I was .... kind of scared and did not think it would be fun to
> really drive. You know what I mean drive drive, not go for a lunch
> date with the mrs. but take some turns and really drive. Dont get me
> wrong, it had raw power and if not for traction control, I would have
> had to pay for tires. Top down was great, stereo was fine and I love
> heads up display. Plenty to like.
>
> The owner pulls up in a red m3 bmw. I have never driven one. Always
> thought they looked great. He said I could test drive it. Both cars
> were around $25K.
> The engine in this thing was smooth as silk. Seating position was
> sedan like and easy to get in and out. Seats top notch. Back seat,
> well forget that, but is was 2x better then a 911 seating. Precise
> stearing and very comfortable ride. Con: Shifter was numb.
>
> I am really leaning towards the BMW. Sure maintenance is scary but I
> hardly use these cars.
>
> If you have any opinions, please let me know. BTW, I did not plan to
> look at the BMW. My plan for today was to pick between a early c5
> corvette and a 87-89 911 carerra 2. If anyone has experience with the
> 911, I would really like to hear it.

We had an lt4 and have driven the M3. Both are great. The m3 is much
more refined like a precision machine. If it is quality, composure,
go with BMW and of course 4 real seats. The Vette is brute force.
The Vette feels like a chevy. It is plastic and rough and well that
is part of the beauty.