Old August 21st 05, 12:10 AM
Steve T

> 1. Is the engine in the 1997 Villager interference or non-interference?
> I've read conflicting information on this.

Nistech on this forum says they aren't, all the VG30's I've seen break belts
bent valves but never seen a quest with a broken one..

> 2. At least one shop has recommended that we change the water pump in
> addition to the timing belt. Is this a good idea?

Yes and you should change the belt tensioner, as well as the cam and crank
seals. If you don't do all the seals, at least do the "left hand" cam seal
(looking at the front of the engine), that's the one that always leaks.

> Looks like the going
> rate for timing belt replacement alone is about $300, but doing both is
> about $500. At 107K, is the water pump on borrowed time?

By age and miles, yes it is.

> 3. How much time (miles) do I have before I *really* need to get that
> belt replaced, or am I already there?

You're already there, it's an age as well as a milage issue.

--

Steve

http://www.atlantaracing.com