Old December 30th 07, 12:57 PM posted to sci.environment,rec.autos.driving,alt.politics.democrats
Shawn Hirn

Default Coping With The New CAFÉ Standards, leotard78sp whines again..

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/?id=52

> OK that's a UK gallon but it's still 50.4 US mpg !
>
> Diesel engines are a large part of the answer. The USA has an irrational
> fear of them though. Modern European diesel engine design is making even
> SPORTY diesels possible. They have exceptional torque which most drivers
> like too.

In my area, finding a gas station where diesel is sold is a challenge. I
live in South Jersey. I was once driving home on the Atlantic City
Parkway two or three years ago. I stopped to get gas at one of the road
side places and a guy in front of me pulls up in a fancy Mercedes and
the gas station attendant had to send him away because he needed diesel
and that station didn't sell any. Hopefully, he had enough gas in his
tank to find a station where diesel is sold.