Old May 16th 17, 12:27 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Accident Investigator

Default Speedometer Reading After Crash

The comments above have been interesting to read. We, however, need to remember that modern vehicles no longer have speedometers that work by attaching a cable to a vehicle wheel and the amount of revolutions that a wheel turns is transfer to the speedometer that works with internal weights that measure how far the separate the higher the revs.
Modern speedometers are electronic that receive a signal from a sensor on the vehicles gearbox and the analog needle moves to the speed that the vehicle is moving. There are small electromagnets in a servo that move the needle around. If the power to the vehicle is shut off due to a violent crash there is no residual power left to return the needle to its resting place. That is why the speedometer can give a good indication of what the vehicles speed on impact was. This method is accepted by Police in USA, Canada, UK and Australia. I hope this explains why this method is used. Black boxes are not fitted in all vehicles in other countries.