Old May 25th 14, 11:04 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Scott Dorsey

Default AWD vs RWD -which handles better in good conditions?

really real > wrote:
>I always assumed that with AWD, one pays a price as the car is heavier,
>and I assumed, the handling in good conditions wasn't as good.

Not all AWD systems are the same. The design of the center differential
makes a big difference in performance and some use hydraulic coupling that
allows the vehicle to drive very much like a RWD under good conditions.

The Subaru AWD system handles remarkably well and permits you to adjust
the compliance of the coupling to meet the road conditions. The BMW
system I can't say anything about because I have never driven it.

BUT.... your point about the added weight is an important one and one that
people seem to miss. Don't forget the added complexity of the drive
train and the added repair difficulty either.

>But now that I have BMW 3281 AWD , am I getting handling as good as a
>rear wheel drive BMW?

I don't know, but I suggest you go to to the dealer and test drive a
3-series RWD and decide for yourself. I'd love to know what you think!
--scott