Old November 21st 11, 07:23 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.audi
AD[_2_]

Default Tire load

On Nov 17, 3:30*pm, ChrisCoaster > wrote:
> On Nov 16, 8:38*am, AD > wrote:
>

> > Parking here is extremely tight. Hence softroading is common if not
> > mandatory :-[
> > I got onto a packed dirt embankment lately and it looked like the rear
> > right was nearly off
> > the ground (A4 with sport suspenders has extremely beefy front and
> > rear sway bars and i think
> > that was a contributing factor to my one-wheel-in-the-air scenario).

> > The Michelin X-Ice 2 are 195 65R15 and the front right tire was
> > severely squished,
> > as if it had 10psi (it actually is inflated to 32).
> > It seems that two diagonally opposed tires (FR & RL) were severely
> > overloaded while FL was
> > carrying maybe 1/8th of the car weight. XI2 survived somehow with
> > about 3800lbs worth of
> > a car essentially resting on 2.5 tires; thusly I wonder
> > to what extent the passenger tires are overbuilt.

> > Me thinks if I have 91 load rating that's 1356lbs and 3800/2.5 is
> > 1520lbs.
> > If one manages to get two tires in the air that's 1900lbs per tire -
> > waaaay over the 1356lbs rating.
> > A blowout is sure to follow or not?

> > Now suppose I deflate to 25lbs before venturing into soft sands, load
> > capacity should drop lower yet, right?

> > thanks

> ____________________
>
> Just as an aside - what are the speed ratings of your tires?

195/65R15 T91

I was thinking its Q but given no studs Michelin seems to be confident
the tire will survive past 100mph.

My suspicion this is solely for the end of life when you have less
then 4mm of thread
remaining and want to "finish it off" in summer.

Maybe it's an euro thing: the lack of P prefix for the euro market
tires:
I typically see C postfix for cargo van tires. Such as 205/70R15C for
example.
I don;t think I saw that in the US

> Typically you'll see an S,T,H, or V rating mixed in with the size.
> Mine are P-205/60*H*R-16. *The answer you give may explain the
> appearance of your sidewalls.

per chart at the bottom of this article
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=72
for T speed rating dynamic load rating is no different
that static load rating or whatever is that jim beam have made up.