Old October 6th 11, 08:41 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
BSAKing

Default Transmission will not engage after engine rebuild..... help?

On Oct 6, 12:05*pm, "Dad" > wrote:
> Dry transmission fill can be as much as 10 Quarts if it was really
> dry, fill a few, let it idle, do some more and let it idle until it
> gets close to the full mark and warm. It should prime even if the
> converter was dry.

**** Bear with me here, but the transmission was not drained, nor dry.
I checked the fluid level warm after a 20 min break in period on the
engine rebuild and it was ok.

> But, there are tangs on the pilot shaft of the converter that has to
> be lined up with the pump in the transmission body before it will
> engage the pump when you bolt it to the flex plate. If you missed that
> engagement you have some new problems.

****"tangs lining up" - I think you are talking about internal to
the transmission? The tranny was not stripped down nor taken off the
car. The engine was unbolted from the tranny by the 3 bolts and the
tranny was left in situ on the vehicle.... Maybe I am misunderstanding
this one...

If you have already bolted it
> together and run it with fluid in it, unhook a cooler line and see if
> the pump is working. If you get lots of fluid the pump is working and
> connected correctly and should move your car when primed/full.\

**** I will perform that check a little later on today and see what I
see.

Thanks!