Old October 11th 08, 09:01 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech
Bob Jones

Default Anco wiper blades called a CR best buy

"Retired VIP" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 13:34:01 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
> > wrote:
>
>>In article >,
>> "L Alpert" > wrote:
>>
>>> I have never had an issue with the Hondas I have owned over the past 30
>>> years or so using off the shelf items such as ATF, antifreeze, brake
>>> fluid,
>>> oil, etc.
>>>
>>> I seriously doubt that there is anything "special" about them other than
>>> the
>>> label.

>>Go ahead, then, use non-Honda ATF and tell us what you think.
>>
>>Same with coolant.
>>
>>Shoot, same with power steering fluid nowadays.
>>
>>They're all part of a complex system that's highly engineered. Long
>>gone are the days of everybody using the same stuff that's off the shelf
>>at Goober's gas station.

> What is so 'highly engineered' about a power steering system? Exactly
> what is there about Honda, Toyota, GM, Ford or Chrysler power steering
> fluid that makes it special? ATF fluid needs to supply the proper
> friction modifiers so there is a difference between Ford and GM ATF
> but if the after-market ATF has the proper modifiers, it will perform
> the same as the OEM stuff.

How do you know if a particular brand of ATF has the same additives. Some
after-market stuff may not cause problems but whether they provide optimal
performance for your vehicle is another question.

> I've been using Preston Anti-freeze (the green stuff) in my cars for
> the last 45 years and I have never had a engine or cooling system
> problem that could have been caused by the coolant. Why pay $15.00 a
> gallon for anti-freeze that carries a GM or Ford brand when I can get
> something just as good for half the price?

According to the service manual, non-OEM anti-freeze on a Honda could lead
to corrosion. Why take that chance. The OEM anti-freeze can last for a long
long time. $15 is a cheap insurance.