Old December 28th 11, 05:18 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
TonyB

Default flash-flash

"R C Nesbit" > wrote in message
> Zathras spoke:
>> >So just how expensive is it likely to be when the 156JTD
>> >glow-plug light starts flashing shortly after the engine
>> >starts, and flashes away for about 30 seconds?

>> If the glow plugs are failing, just get them *all* replaced. Mine cost
>> less than a well under a tenner each and were fine (contrary to scare
>> stories of using OEM plugs). Whole job (5 for me) was done by local
>> indy garage for about 75UKP IIRC.

> If that's what it is, I shall probably do them myself, once I get a
> delivery of tuits.
>
> I find working on the car a bit like working up to a trip to the
> dentists - procrastinate until the pain becomes unbearable! ;^)
>
> --
> Rob Pearson
> 156 1.9jtd sportwagon (now)
> 164 V6 Lusso (gone)
> 147 2.0TS lusso (Hers)

My experience was similar to Rob's. However, watch out for the diagnostic
scan scam. I checked mine with a multi-meter and established that one plug
gave no reisistance so took it in and told them, " Number 3 plug has gone,
please replace it. " I'd have done it myself only I don't have the right
size spanner. On the bill was Plug £10, Labour £20, Diagnostic scan £35,
plus vat on the lot.

It's cured now though. Mind, it started well enough on three, I just
couldn't put up with that damn light flashing!

TonyB