Old November 7th 04, 08:20 PM
JS

Default Car And Driver 2005 GT road test

(Jim) wrote:

>>>. . . What is it with Ford and brakes? They
>>>almost always fare poorly against other brands in braking distance.
>>>I've owned nothing but Fords since 1979, and only one had decent
>>>brakes, IMO. That one was a 1988 Festiva, which would almost pop your
>>>eyeballs out when you slammed on the brakes (and no ABS!). Even my
>>>current '03 Lightning takes way too long to stop in a panic, and it's
>>>supposed to be a performance vehicle!

>>The weight might be an issue perhaps ???
>>

> In all of them? Not just the Lightning, but also the '79 Mustang, '79
> Fiesta, '83 EXP, '86 Aerostar, '90 Probe GT, '94 Ranger and 2001 Sport
> Trac? And in nearly every Car and Driver article in which a Ford's braking
> performance is listed? I'm not bashing Fords -- obviously, I like them --
> but they don't seem to do brakes very well.

I think he was referring to the lightning. You're stopping a truck, not a
Ferrari.

The rest of the cars, I'd agree, have pretty poor braking, but the '90 Probe
GT? I had an '89 PGT and that thing stopped pretty well. It wasn't as good
as, say, my '97 Cobra, but it stopped a whole lot better than any Fox
Mustang I've ever driven.

But, then again, the Probe is a Mazda product with a blue oval on it...
maybe it should be excluded... lol.

JS