Old July 2nd 20, 11:30 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hank Rogers[_4_]

Default Tire Pressure Gauges - Analog Vs. Digital

http://www.longacreracing.com/produc...-Tire-Gauge

> just arrived in the mail today, and I am most impressed by its heft and construction quality! Compared to my Accu
> Gage and my digital Longacre, the head unit itself is HUGE - and this is just the deluxe, not the pro version! I
> would say slightly smaller than a standard tennis ball. Thick red hose, 17" long, solid chuck, this gauge seems
> almost overbuilt for its purpose in life: Accurately dialing in cold tire pressure on all four tires of a motor vehicle.
>
> I went out and checked the pressure of one of my tires with it, and it seems to go effortlessly about returning a
> reading. And yes, it holds the reading solidly, until I dump it via the bleed valve - which takes about 2-3seconds
> of holding in the bleeder button. Plus, it glows in the dark for those who need to check a tire out on the road after
> dark.
>
> I called Longacre Racing to find out what kind of design it is(Bourdon vs spring) and the gentleman who answered
> the phone(right away, no menus "please press 1" crap by the way)confirmed it is Bourdon, as all their analog gauges
> have been for over ten years. What he was unable to confirm with me was the ANSI(American National Standards)
> grade this gauge would fall under - AA <0.5%, A <1.0%, B <2%, etc. Never even heard of the department.
>
> He did say that the Deluxe is a "3-2-3%" gauge as far as accuracy is concerned: 3% accuracy below 20psi and
> above 40psi, and 2% from 20-40psi. So for a required reading of IE: 35psi exactly, that's plus/minus 0.7psi. For a
> reading of 50psi, that's an error of 1.5psi.
>
> Supposedly their basic digital gauge is 0.8% accurate, or plus/minus 0.28psi at our example, 35psi, with resolution
> down to 0.2(one fifth) of 1psi. I just don't like waiting 2-3 sec. for an exact reading!
>
> So I'll see how my new Longacre deluxe analog hold up with regards to repeatability.

If you are looking for high accuracy, don't you need to have
periodic calibrations against a traceable NBS standard, to ensure
it hasn't drifted?

Some lab equipment has stickers to show it is up to date.