Old July 1st 20, 05:05 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

Default Tire Pressure Gauges - Analog Vs. Digital

wrote:
> Tire Pressure Gauges - Analog Vs. Digital
>
> The purpose of my inquiry, after two months of experience with two digital tire gauges, is not to find
> out which brands of gauge are better than others, but rather, to find out which type(dial face vs digital)
> you feel:
>
> 1. Consistently gives the same result over and over again.
> 2. Has the best absolute accuracy(against a known reference gauge)
>
> One of my two digital models, a DIYCO Pro, takes 3-5sec. to reach a reading. After dumping it(releasing
> the air from it when it is removed from a tire), and valving that same tire again two or three more times,
> I get different readings as much as 2psi apart. IE: first read: 33.5psi, second read, 32.9, third read, 33.2,
> etc.
>
> If I set all my car's tires to exactly 33.0psi, how do I know all four are really exactly 33.0psi(according to a
> theoretical reference gauge)?
>
> With dials, If I keep taking readings, the indicated pressure goes down just a hair with each successive
> reading, but, I get a reading right away, and bleeding down is fast and no nonsense compared to the digitals,
> which "slowly climb back"from a bleed: 32.8...32.9.........? .....33.0! Whew, finally!
>
> Which do you prefer: Decimal precision of a digital tire gauge that you must wait a few seconds for, or, no-
> nonsense, quick reading of an analog? And is either really any better?

I have about 20 different tire gauges, probably 3 of those will read
matching pressures, most are within 1-2 psi. I;m not real worried if the
tires are 33psi, or 35 psi, as long as they all read the same on the
same gauge. I love the Journey as it shows PSI on the TPMS display.
With the car setting in the shop and cold tires, I can check them and
find each one is at 36 psi. Then look at the display and see it showing
every tire at a different pressure, both higher and lower but usually
within 2 psi of the gauge.

As for which is better, it's a crap shoot unless you have it tested and
calibrated regularly.

--
Steve W.