Old August 6th 07, 04:37 PM posted to rec.autos.antique
Otto Skorzeny

Default help identifying the year of a photo

Hi Dave,

The higher resolution helps a lot. I'm more sure that the white sedan
in the photo with 12-D is in fact a 1941 Ford. The lack of chrome on
the fenders and the turn signal on top of the front fender identifies
it as a prewar Ford rather than a post war model. The bodies were
almost identical with minor differences in trim.

Although I can't positively identifiy the black sedan in the other
photo, I can say that there are know post war cars that I can see. The
shape of the headlights on the black one indicate that it is no later
than a 1939 or 1940 model. Sealed beam headlights appeared in 1941and
were standard on most if not all vehicles. Those on this car do not
appear to be round sealed beams but rather slanted ovals found on Ford
products.

GM used round lights on stalks up to 1941 when they switched to built
in sealed beams.

After WWII Americans began buying new cars at unprecedented rates. Car
makers could not build enough to meet the demand. By 1949, when these
pictures were supposed to have been taken, manufacturers had begun
catching up with demand and entirely new models were being introduced
instead of warmed over pre-war designs.

The complete lack of any post war models or any cars that even vaguely
look like 1946-1949 cars leads me to believe that this photo was taken
before or during the war.

The 1941 Ford sets a "no earlier than" date (late 1940). Since no cars
were produced during WWII, this picture could have been taken as late
as 1945 or 1946.

I hope this helps you. Others may be better able to identify various
cars but the two that can be most clearly seen are definitely pre-war.

Forrest