Old April 6th 19, 11:30 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Arif Khokar

Default [M] forget self-driving cars; bring back the stick shift

On 04/05/2019 11:35 PM, JAB wrote:

> I think it should be a requirement to learn on....its about
> mental/physical coordination.

It becomes second nature once you've been driving one long enough.
FWIW, I didn't learn how to drive one until about 5 years after I first
got my license. But now I have over 20 years of experience driving one.

> Fuel mileage wise, autos vs sticks today are about same, or same mpg.

For me, the fuel efficiency difference isn't really a consideration. I
just like the fact that I can choose the appropriate gear to go up or
down hills in advance rather than waiting for an automatic to react and
choose the gear for me.