Old October 17th 08, 05:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
navaidstech

Default Schematic for 98 SL2? 10 amp body fuse blows

On Oct 12, 6:41*pm, Mikey > wrote:
> I have a 1998 SL2 and the 10 amp body fuse blows. *Tried a 20 amp
> (danger!) and it immediately blew, too.
>
> The dome light doesn't work, is it on that circuit? *The side towards
> the switch behaves like a switched ground connection:
> 0 ohms in the 'on' position.
> 20-25 ohms in 'door' position.
> open circuit in 'off' position.
>
> The other end of the dome light shows a couple *ohms to ground. *All
> of this is with the bulb removed.
>
> Seems like a short to ground somewhere.
>
> Are there any schematics online? *I have the Hayes manual and it gives
> a general guide for a 94, which doesn't really help. *I need connector
> locations and wire colors.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks!

Mikey....

looks like you have a short to the ground somewhere between the fuse
and the dome bulb. This fuse also provides power to the MAP lights as
well as your trunk light.
All three should be affected by your problem. Finding it will be a
heck of a project. YOu might get lucky by measuring the resistance
from the orange wire to ground on all three lights, whichever is the
lowest will indicate that the problem is near there.
Wires normally travel in bundles, I can't see the problem occurring
there. However, I would try to trace the wires as they leave the
bundle and head to their final destination...quite possibly the
insulation has been rubbing against a passthrough hole, exposing the
wire to car's body.

Good luck

Alex