Old June 24th 16, 10:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
greybuck

Default Please Help with Invoice from Local Auto Repair, Charged forUnneeded Parts?

On Thursday, June 23, 2016 at 1:41:37 PM UTC-6, Dan G. wrote:
> Hi All,
> I'm hoping y'all can all help me check an invoice I received from my
> local auto repair shop, I had some work done and want to make sure I
> wasn't charged for parts I don't need. The work was done on my 2000
> Chrysler Town and Country with 49,240 miles on the odometer. I was
> having a problem where there was a heavy rubbing noise coming from the
> front end which could occur when the van was being driven but also
> when parked without the motor running.
>
> Front end parts that were replaced:
> lower ball joints at $110
> sway bar links at $124
> quick struts at $700
>
> The total labor charged is $675 which includes the change of the
> serpentine belt. It's not the labor or the price of the parts I have a
> problem with, just wondering why they had to replace three different
> sets of parts, I can see one or the other part causing the problem but
> all three (sets)? Thanks in advance for any info you can provide
>

> Dan G. in CT

Those parts prices seem kind of high. I would guess that the "quick struts" mean that they come ready to go, so the springs don't have to be transferred to the new ones. Where I live, that much for labor, would represent about 8 hours of work. I checked parts prices on Rockauto.com