Old November 25th 04, 05:13 PM
mcewena

Default Sim "world championship" musing

There was an article in Racer magazine recently talking about the
"glory days" when the top drivers such as Mario, Jimmy Clark, AJ
etc. used to routinely run in a variety of series throughout the
year(F1, F2, sports cars, Nascar, short tracks etc..), they went on to
hypothesize about what current races would make up such a (highly
theoretical) "world championship" today. I can't remember the
exact list but I think it was Monaco F1, Indy 500, Daytona 500, Monaco
WRC, Lemans, Eldora sprints, maybe Pikes Peak, and I think there was
Champ car race (Long Beach?) in the list as well.

I started thinking about how that would work in sim racing, if you
start by assuming full length events (2hr GPs, 500 mile Ovals etc.),
full damage and a comon point structure the "season" would take a
year to run and might be something like:

1) 2 GPL events at venues like Monaco & Nurburgring

2) 2 rounds using NR2003 maybe Daytona (premiere series venue) and
Martinsville (classic short track).

3) 2 modern F1 rounds (say Spa and Suzuka) using F1C? I plead
ignorance into the current state of modern F1 online titles.

4) 2 Rally rounds, again I plead ignorance as to the sim to use (CM4?),
"online Rallying" is sort of an oxymoron but assume there's a
title out there were others can be reasonably assured your reported
time was cheat free? Venues: Monaco? Pikes Peak? RAC? Africa? Pick
any 2.

5) Lemans 24hrs using the PWF or TPTCC mods to NR. dEEL proved it can
be done, obviously you'd have to be 1 member of a team to
participate.

Of course this list still leaves out significant real life events like
Bathurst, Indy 500, Macao F3 and certain types of racing altogether
like Sprint cars, dragsters and even MotoGP. But you get the idea.

Now if some bright spark were to organize that and get some racing
school to put up one of their advanced courses as a prize it could be
something to watch...
If so, send my royalty check to....

Art.