Old September 7th 10, 05:59 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

Default 156 Airbag recharge

Stef wrote:
> In alt.autos.alfa-romeo,
> Catman > wrote:
>> Malcolm Osborne wrote:
>>> My '99 vintage 156 TS is now 11 years old, coming up for an (expensive) 280
>>> 000Km service! Have to change cambelt once again.
>>>
>>> A while ago, I noticed a sticker on the doorframe stating that the airbags
>>> should have had the gas cylinder(s) recharged by 2009. I'll get that checked
>>> at the service, but has anyone had that done? Presumably this would be one
>>> of your MoT check items (which we don't have here)?

>> Not an MOT item. I spoke to my tame expert, whose reaction was basically
>> 'no one *ever* changes the generator'

> No one, ever? Anyone here perhaps? :-)

Or no one that Jamie Porter has ever done business with, which is
probably a rather larger sample

> The sticker on my 156 says to replace them in 2011 and I was just
> wondering on how to replace those things. Haven't looked in the
> on-line catalogs yet, but I have a suspicion that those 'bombs' are
> not on sale just everywhere. And that replacing them might be
> considered hazardous job only to be carried out by qualified
> personell.

I set off a seatbelt pre-tensioner in SWMBO's 145 a couple of years
back. I still recall looking repeatedly at my hands and counting as I
simply could not believe my luck. Don't mess with them is my advice. YMMV.

116 Giulietta 3.0l Sprint 1.7 GTV TS GT 3.2 V6
Triumph Sprint ST 1050: It's blue, see.
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk