Old March 8th 05, 01:37 PM
Mike Romain

If he can get the 'exact' brand and size he already has and if he has
open diffs and part time 4x4 he can get away with it.

He has to put the two new ones on the same axle if he has a limited
slip. But that brings up reversing the spin on one of the whole tires
which can cause them to explode from belt separation. (ya ya I know
'they' say new tires aren't 'supposed' to explode like that anymore, but
once bitten a dozen or more times with used tires, I just don't believe
whoever 'they' are, plus both of my Jeep owners manuals say not to cross
rotate.)

The size difference from front to rear can mean he will have 'fun'
trying to get out of 4x4 on occasion, the t-case will wind up so goosing
it in reverse might be needed to make the shifter move. If there is too
much difference in wear, then even 4 high would be useless because you
can't shift out of 4x4 on the fly if it winds up.

Putting a different brand of tire on is 'not' a good idea. Brands flex
totally different so the vehicle could either dive into a turn or skew
the arse end so it swings out unexpectedly on a turn.

My $0.02,

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's